Community and Environmental Services Ltd is a consultancy firm based in Vientiane and has been registered and operating in Lao since 1998. The firm was first registered under Rural Development Specialists until 2004, when the name was changed to Community and Environmental Services Ltd to better suit the services and expertise provided.
Today CES Ltd provides consulting services and project management services in key areas such as community development, poverty reduction and alleviation, natural resource management, institutional strengthening, capacity building, water user organization, irrigated agricultural development, rural finance and credit, social mitigation, environmental impact assessment and policy development.
The company is 100% foreign owned. There are two owner-directors; one Australian, and one French national. Combined, these two individuals have over 40 years’ development experience of which some 35 years’ has been gained in the Lao PDR providing a robust multi-sectoral local knowledge base.
The company directors have an active role in all work undertaken by the company, and also provide specific technical consultant inputs as appropriate.
Our areas of expertise
Our key areas expertise include:
- Community participation and targeting, community training and capacity building, community based-management, participatory planning, impact monitoring and evaluation, indigenous and vulnerable groups;
- Participatory survey and data collection, use of focal groups, social analysis;
- Community organization support to construction of rural infrastructure such as irrigation, access roads, health centers and WATSAN, particularly in regards to community ownership, management and sustainable maintenance of investments;
- Poverty reduction and alleviation, livelihood analysis, income generation activities and enterprise development, agricultural support to improve food security and market linkages;
- Training for local communities on natural resource management;
- Establishing and strengthening Community Based Organizations, livelihood and activity groups;
- Institutional strengthening and capacity building;
- Irrigation development and water user organization establishment, strengthening, institutionalization;
- Irrigated agriculture development;
- Participatory land use planning;
- Rural finance, credit, and savings programs, formal and informal;
- Social safeguards and mitigation program implementation and evaluation;
- Environmental impact assessment, monitoring and management planning;
- Policy development for poverty reduction, irrigation management transfer (IMT).